Dare County deputy clerk of court accused of going on ‘stealing spree’ | News
A 6-month investigation landed a woman the Dare County Deputy Clerk of court in jail.
Police say Heather Austin went on a stealing spree then pawned the stolen merchandise off on a Outer Banks business owner.
Investigators say Austin took up to $15,000 dollars’ worth of goods from the store “Souvenir City” in Nags Head.
She used to work there and when she did, police say things kept coming up missing like clothes and sunglasses.
But last week, three agencies helped find the loot.
Some of it was being sold inside ‘J.C.`s Place Clothing and More.’
Some of the items still had the original tags on them.
The owner told police he had no idea they were stolen.
In all, over 1,100 t-shirts were found, 500 sweatshirts, and more than 500 pairs of sunglasses and 230 hats.
Austin is charged with conspiracy to possess stolen property and larceny.
Upcoming Events near Outer Banks
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officer hit in arm by passing car during stop
- Marine Police, City of Norfolk visit ‘floating junkyard’ for potential violations
- Defense attorney says Decker murder trial witnesses have been coordinating testimonies
- Police investigate after man is shot inside vehicle in Norfolk
- Red light cameras now active in Norfolk